Questions & Answers

What is the name for the tool in woodblock printing that applies ink on the paper?

For woodblock printing in the Tang Dynasty in China. I cant seem to be able to find the name.


  • amybeader

    I don’t know what the name of the Chinese tool may have been, but one of the names for inking tools today is a brayer. Is that possibly what you are thinking of?

  • John Steins

    Buddhist monks who hand print scriptures from wood blocks use an ink dauber. It’s similar to a wadded up piece of leather that they rock back and forth to pick up ink on a slab and then do the same on the block to charge it with ink.

    Not sure what it’s called though.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.